Brussels Studies Institute
2de Nacht van de kennis over Brussel / la 2ième Nuit du savoir sur Bruxelles
At the end of November 2012 there was plenty of impassioned yet also festive activity at the Kaaitheater on the occasion of the first Night of Knowledge about Brussels.
For the second time the Brussels Studies Institute will be bringing together several dozen researchers and thinkers to share their knowledge on Brussels with you at the Night of Knowledge.
Once again there will be incisive presentations (14 minutes long!), larded with short performances by Brussels artists and a debate on the future of Brussels as the European Capital. And you can satisfy your desire for facts at the Brussels Academy Corner and in the unsurpassed Kaaicafé (kitchen open until 10pm!). At 1am we award your attention with a special nightly concert of Laïla Amezian and TriOde.
So all this goes on for seven hours. Because knowledge is cool, especially now that Brussels is in the spotlight once again, as a small metropolis, as the capital of this country and increasingly of Europe too.
Knowledge from the universities and research centres, in the languages of Brussels and for Brussels’ various audiences. You cannot get any closer to the world than this.
PROGRAMME • GRANDE SALLE / GROTE ZAAL
Moderators : Béatrice Delvaux (Le Soir) & Friedl’ Lesage (Radio 1)
19:00 - 19:25 / film
LES CHOUA / DE CHOUAS (SADDIE CHOUA, 2010)
Saddie Choua is a Moroccan-Belgian sociologist and film-maker. She presents a portrait of her family that balances between fact and fiction and between personal and political considerations. It was a photograph of her father and four uncles that sparked off this semi-biographical documentary. Two brothers migrated to Belgium, three of them stayed in Morocco. Who made the best choice?
Continiously until 01:00
CARROUSEL DE PRÉSENTATIONS / PRESENTATIECARROUSEL
Fascinating knowledge on Brussels, presented atrractively. Presentations in French, Dutch or English. With:
- Katrien Mondt (Innoviris) on smart cities
- Ilke Adam (VUB) on the integration of newcomers
- Edwin Zaccai (ULB) sur les impacts planétaires des changements climatiques sur les villes
- Kristof Clerix (Mo*magazine) over Brussel spionagehoofdstad
- Myriam De Spiegelaere (ULB) & Gille Feyaert (Observatoire de la Santé et du Social) sur la pauvreté dans une ville mondiale
- Serge Jaumain (ULB) sur les universités et l’internationalisation
- Chris Kesteloot (KUL) on urban governance
- Frank Schwalba-Hoth on Brussels as the world capital of lobbies
- Sigrid Bousset (Passa Porta) on Brussels as a city of refuge for persecuted writers
- Cathy Macharis (VUB) on sustainable transport, a capital choice
- Florence Delmotte (USL-B) & Heidi Mercenier (USL-B) sur l’Europe vue d’en bas ou ce qu’en disent des jeunes Bruxellois
- Francis Metzger (ULB) sur une cité universitaire internationale à Bruxelles
- Jonathan Holslag (VUB) on Brussels or Bejing?
- Guy Gypens (Kaaitheater) over Brussel als hoofdstad van hedendaagse dans
- Jean-Michel Decroly (ULB) sur le tourisme à Bruxelles
- Philippe Hambye (UCL) sur les écoles bruxelloises
- Roel Jacobs (‘t Scarlaken/Visit Brussels) over de geschiedenis van Brussel
20:45 – 21:00 / concert
Fanfakids is a group of youngsters (between 7 and 17 years of age) who transform their youthful energy in an explosive concoction of rai, maracatu or hip-hop. This is the metropolitan music mix that they grew up with in their headquarters, the Community Centre 'Centrum West' in Molenbeek. No poses, no fake, honest and energetic, right in your face!
22:15 – 22:30 / performance
DAVID HELBICH : BELGIAN SOLUTIONS
For some years, artist David Helbich – originally from Germany but working in Brussels – has been looking for Belgian solutions to practical problems. Not that he has had too much trouble finding examples, for the solutions seem to be leaping into his lap. The staircase that leads to nowhere and a cycle path that abruptly ceases to exist are two cases in point.
22:30 – 23:00 / debate
VRAIMENT DEVENIR UNE CAPITALE DE L’EUROPE ? / ECHT EEN HOOFDSTAD VAN EUROPA WORDEN?
Debate with Eric Corijn (VUB), Jean Quatremer (Libération), Alain Deneef (Fonds Quartier Européen) & Philippe Van Parijs (UCL) (moderator)
00:00 – 00:15 / film
RE:ROSAS TRAILER (EXTENDED VERSION)
In 1983, “Rosas danst Rosas” premiered at the Brussels Kaaitheater Festival. The performance soon became one of the benchmarks of contemporary dance and is still a part of the repertoire. To celebrate the 30th birthday an appeal was launched inviting everyone to make and film their own version of the famous chair scene. More than 1500 people tried their hand (and feet) at the choreography, solo, in pairs, or even with tens at a time. People from all over the world, from Ottawa and Bahia to Manila and Shanghai.
01:00 – 01:30 / concert
LAÏLA AMEZIAN & TRIODE
Laïla Amezian's remarkable personal style draws on many disparate influences but is none of them, her voice distinctly Maghrebian but world-travelled, accompanied by innovative cello and percussion. After Glasgow, Helsinki and Kaolack (Senegal), now on stage in Kaaitheater. A special treat for your 6 hour long attention. A unique night concert not to be missed.
With Laïla Amezian (vocals), Anja Naucler (cello) & Stephan Pougin (drums, percussion)
PROGRAMME • FOYER
20:00 – 22:30
BRUSSELS ACADEMY CORNER WITH BEN AND STEF
Benjamin Wayens (Brussels Studies, USL-B) and Stefan Decorte (Cosmopolis, VUB) welcome you in their Brussels Academy Corner for a meet ‘n’ greet with different university projects and Brussels based research centres. Q&A with the thriving forces behind these initiatives. And with a drink of course. With :
- 20:00 - 20:20 Brussels Studies Institute - Serge Jaumain & Joost Vaesen
- 20:20 - 20:40 Brussels Academy - Eric Corijn & Geert Cochez
- 20:40 - 21:00 Observatoire de l'Enfant (COCOF ) - Stephane Aujean
- 21:00 - 21:20 growfunding.be (HUB) - Frederik Lamote (pause/pauze 10')
- 21:30 - 21:50 urbanisme.brussels/stedenbouw.brussels - observatoires/observatoria - Ben Dewitte
- 21:50 - 22:10 Atrium.brussels - baromètre/barometer 2014 - Julien Bacq
- 22:10 - 22:30 Brussels Studies e-journal - Benjamin Wayens & Michel Hubert
Animateurs/animatoren: Benjamin Wayens (Brussels Studies, USL-B) & Stefan Decorte (Cosmopolis, VUB)
NENA PEETERS: EXPO BRUXELLES NORD
Interesting publications of our universities and fascinating books on Brussels. An exquisite selection for fans of Brussels.
The central point of the Night. Bar open all night. Kitchen open until 10pm. But serving light snacks as long as you need it.